Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Six degrees of separation

There are boxes lying around on the third floor (where all the relief experts of our org stationed and where I stationed too but I am not one of the relief experts cos I have never been to a disaster area. Our office looks like it was hit by cyclone too. Our team is ready to be deployed. Bad timing cos tomorrow is my last working day. Suddenly, I become so free, nothing much to do cos I have handed over my Sudan and North Korea projects to my colleague. Of course, this is not the time for me to leave, judging on the situation now cos four of our relief members are leaving for Myanmar. Of course, I will be back to the office if they needed me. To make things worse, another cyclone is heading towards the direction of Bangladesh. We just completed the pond cleaning projects in Bangladesh and the cyclone is heading there again. Can the cyclone take a turn and head back to where it came from?!!
Of course, I have been handling very complex project, supporting our two officers in Sudan from the headquarters. Last month, there was a killing rampage going on in where our officers stationed. I was basically on call 24 hours, keeping in touch with our officers, which is part of the security protocol. I was basically in emergency mode for two weeks until our officers were safely relocated. The situation was so intense that I felt mentally and emotionally exhausted cos if anything happened to them, I would be completely screwed. I am so glad that this has come to an end. No more tears and despair. I am no longer responsible for their lives. Nothing to be accountable for...I am gonna walk away quietly tomorrow and be free again. Finally the suffering is over but yet I can sense that it’s not quite over yet. I am still gonna be the faithful volunteer...once a volunteer, always a volunteer...next week I am gonna join the dental team to go on mission to Royal Belum...something which is more relaxing and what I really enjoy doing...to be close to the beneficiaries...perhaps, it’s better this way.