Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Divine love

When I was in high school, I joined the school trip to visit a few places in Malaysia. We checked in to a doggy hotel in Chow Kit. Chow Kit is this downtown red light district populated by sex workers and drug addicts. The accommodation was arranged by our bus driver. Well, the teachers should have known better that Chow Kit was not a proper place for school trip. Hmmm...So, they we were, a bunch of school kids, wondering around the streets of Chow Kit without parental or teachers’ guidance. I still remember vividly the sex worker standing in front of a dark stairway. On that moment, I knew my life was not going to be the same again cos I have been drawn to the forbidden and abandoned side of the world.


After more than 20 years, I was back there, surrounded by a bunch of orphans. I summoned all my strength to carry the heavy box filled with medicines up the narrow stairway. The stairway was flanked by walls painted with murals. I was exhausted but it had to be done. The orphanage was beautifully decorated and clean. It was something you don’t expect to see in places like Chow Kit.


So, without a moment to waste, we quickly set up the mobile clinic. We arranged all the needed medical equipments on two tables. Sister taught us how to take BP and to weight and scale the height of the kids. Some of the kids looked abashed when I asked them where they lived. They shyly or rather shamefully told me that they lived nearby. Then, I realised that I shouldn't ask them this question cos most of them spend most of the day in the orphanage which also serves a drop in centre. There are also permanently live-in children. Most of the kids we examined were in good health but they were these three sisters who were having high fever. Dr. W asked me to give them medicine. I carried one of the young sisters and let her sit on my lap. I heard from Sister C that they are actually five siblings who are left by their mother in the centre. Many of the children have no birth certificate. Therefore, they are not vaccinated and can’t go to school.


I held on to the little hand and put a wet face tower on her forehead. On that moment, I felt divine love and affection which I have been deprived of, I believed she felt the same way too. There we were, feeding each other love as if the whole universe had taken centre stage in us. I put my hand over her head and prayed for her. God had led me to where I belong, where I could feel His presence and a sense of belonging and unconditional love. This is what I have been craving for...Then, I realised I need to be free again...