Saturday, May 17, 2008

AIDS Memorial Day

This afternoon I attended an inter faith AIDS memorial service organised by an NGO in memory of those who died of AIDS. This was the first time I came face to face with people living with HIV. I was shocked that majority of them are housewives and the last thing that will come on one's mind upon meeting them is that they are HIV positive. I talked to one of them and found out that she has been living with HIV for seven years. I guess majority of them were infected by their husbands. The other day, my friend, a single mother who attended a gathering like this was shocked and commented that marriage is like one form of death sentence for some women. I totally agree with her.


The actual AIDS Memorial Day is on 18 May which is also the Idaho Day, a day against homophobia. So, on Saturday nite, I attended a club event at a gay club. It was a great nite out, a nite of plenty of affection and love. We did the `hug hug thing'. It is great to be somewhere where everyone feel celebrated and safe by being who they are. A `I love gays' sticker was on my pinkish sleeve, not to mention the red ribbon and a Pink Triangle pendant on my neck. I was all out in solidarity with the gay community. I used to have many gay friends who made me feel celebrated, respected and so loved. That nite, a few gay man came to `chat me up' politely. One of them asked me to join others to dance on the podium. He then asked me to pull up his shirt to reveal a tattoo on his back. In return, I pulled up my pinkish shirt to show him my tattoo too, a rather funny tattoo sharing session. He laughed when he found out that I am straight. Then, he pointed to a bunch of gorgeous topless men who were dancing on the podium and asked if I was interested to get to know anyone of them. Hmmm......how about having all of them dancing around me, I thought...hehehe..It was so great to feel totally comfortable in my own skin again and celebrated.

Recently, I asked God why the so called HIS peoples are so judgemental and condemning. Of course, God always has an answer for my question, always. Few weeks ago, I came across a book called `The sins of the Scriptures reveal the love of God'. It was written by a pastor and I felt really comforted after reading the pages about gay people. Finally, I found a christian who speaks the `same language' with me. Of course, there was not it. Last week, I attended a talk and met a bunch of christian gay people who believe God loves them. I had the answer I was looking for.


I know there are many peoples out there especially gay, transsexuals and people who are outcast by the society who believe they are not worthy of God's love because of the way they are. Well, aren't they all created by God the way they are to fulfill a purpose of love. To put us all to the test to see how far we can actually love..can we actually love like the way God loves which is beyond our understanding. Yes, at times, I was amazed and could not comprehend how God could love like the way He did which put me to shame cos I had underestimated His love and His ability to love those whom we think are not worthy of His love.
God loves gay people and there is no doubt about it and shouldn't be any argument about that.